Monday 16 June 2014

Veronese, Bunting and Eagles

On Friday evening John and I went to the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square to the Veronese exhibition. Generally when we head out to an art exhibition it is on at the Tate Modern so paintings from the 1500's was a little unusual but we really enjoyed it. Paolo Caliari known as Paola Veronese was an Italian Renaissance painter who was based in Venice. His painting are of religious and mythological subjects. 

The painting are full of detail and exquisitely painted, a pleasant change from bold colour blocks or very abstract works. The children in the pictures were all doing typical children activities such as stroking the cat and they had very expressive faces. A good evening out.



When the gallery closed at nine we grabbed a coffee and then took the opportunity to take a walk down the Mall. The banners and seating were up ready for the trooping the colour on Saturday. Trooping the colour is the Queen's annual birthday parade.

This week I haven't done much sewing but i have completed a commission. I was asked to make some bunting for the pub where my youngest daughter is working. They wanted some England flag bunting for going behind the bar during the world cup. I made 8 metres in total. The background fabric is calico and I used quilting cotton for the cross. 



I seem to make bunting regularly. Last year I made a 'Happy Birthday' bunting banner.



and I made a lot of purple bunting for some boats that were taking part in the river pagent  to mark the Queen's diamond jubilee.

Over the weekend I've been continuing with my knitting but it is very slow going. I was going to finish the Vote for women quilt top this weekend but I will do it on Tuesday. Instead I did some tidying up in the Garden. It's such a shame to waste the good weather.

Tomorrow night we have tickets for the Eagles concert at the O2. I'm really looking forward to it. It's going to be a rush getting from work in time for the start of the concert. Then on Tuesday I will be catching up with my sewing.

I hope you've had a good weekend.

Lyndsey





2 comments:

  1. That looks like a really interesting exhibit! The buntings are cute, it's such a nice way to make decorations. cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely bunting Lyndsey! Cheered for the English when they played the Italians in that early game in the world Cup...sadly they lost :-(

    ReplyDelete