Wednesday 12 February 2014

February NewFO, scraps and post.

So here we are in the rain soaked UK. I appear to have developed webbed feet and worryingly I think I'm starting to quack. Even the ducks think the rain has gone on long enough. Because we live in London itself we are protected (by the Thames Barrier) from flooding as a result of high tides meeting the flood water flowing down the Thames. The last time London flooded was 1928.

So what do you do when the rain keeps poring down? Well stay in and sew of course. I must admit we did go over to Hampton Court on Saturday for a (wet) walk and to visit a quilt shop I'd just found out about. That meant I slightly overspent my February hobby budget but I did get most of the fabric I needed to make the top of my February NewFO.

My son has been a Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember and ages ago he asked me to make him a star trek quilt. The quilt shop had lots of star trek fabric so I bought several fat quarters and some yardage. On Saturday evening I roughed out the design and worked out my cutting plan to get the most from the fabric. By Sunday I was ready to start cutting and to stitch up the first part.


I'm making four blocks that finish at 12 inches and them sewing them together into a 24 inch block. There are 9 blocks in the top which means that with sashing the top will finish at 80 inches and then there will be the borders to add. A nice simple and straightforward top to put together. I have also got some other star trek fabrics to use. The fabric for the top is all cut and ready for sewing so I'm hoping to have this done this month. The angle I've taken the photo makes the block look squiffy which it isn't. The blur on the bottom right is the end of Picasso's tail.

I have also been trawling through my scraps. This months colour in the Rainbow Challenge (button on the sidebar) is pink. I thought I had lots of pink since I've made several baby quilts for little girls. It shows how bad my memory is because I completely forgot that I used a lot of the scraps to make prem baby quilts. Anyway I found enough to make the 4 nine patches I needed.



I'm going to have to wait until I've finished my 'Hugs and Kisses' project to make this months hexie block. That will be nice and relaxing to stitch in front of the TV later in the week.

Yesterday I spent the morning with a lovely group of ladies doing some English Paper piecing patchwork. As a result I have restarted work on Lucy's quilt which is a rainbow grandmother's garden quilt.

When I got home yesterday the post man had delivered a lovely packet from Barbara at Cat Patches.
Barbara lives in Oregon and I have been following her blog for a couple of years now. Her blog is about her beautiful quilts, her delightful cats, travelling, recipes and much more. She also has quite a few give aways and I was lucky enough to win this beautiful ceramic pin. Barbara had also included a lovely FQ. Thank you so much Barbara, I'm currently wearing the pin and I have an idea for the FQ which may well be next month's NewFO.


My plans for today are to finish my project for the blog hop. My day is tomorrow so do pop back and see what I made. I was going to take Scamp for a walk before I started sewing but it has just started raining again so I'll play with him instead. Picasso is curled up as close to the radiator as possible and snoring little kitty contented snores which means as soon as I get the machine working he'll be ready to get into mischief.

I hope you're having a good Wednesday. Stay warm, dry and safe.

Lyndsey

6 comments:

  1. Your projects looks great, congrats on your win. STAY DRY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like there is an upside to all this rain after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Star Trek blocks.
    lucky where we are too,I'm at home sewing,don't want to venture out in this wind.
    Stay safe and dry.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blocks that you have been working on Lyndsey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you enjoyed the quilt pin. Catching up on my blog reading today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Memory can be a very tricky thing sometimes!

    ReplyDelete