Thursday 15 August 2013

Bags of room

Over the summer I try to catch up with all those jobs that just don't fit into the time available through the year. Running Rainbows, Brownies and Guides I always seem to be behind with the paperwork and the accounts. plus you have to plan for the next year as it does run much smoother with an overall plan. Along with that plan is the need to have something to keep and carry the books and records for the groups and this is where my June NewFO came in

I decided I wanted to make a large bag for the books that would be colourful and could be carried on my shoulder. There is a gate and door to unlock to get into the hall where we meet so you need your hands free.

The pattern I chose was designed by Emma Corbett and Lisa Harper for Buttonberry and is designed to use a charm pack. However I found some fabric I loved and so cut my own charms.



I very quickly finished the front of the bag. It was meant to be done quilt as you go but I didn't have any batting so I stitched the blocks together and quilted it later. Here we are in August and over the last two days I found time to finish the project.


It went together very easily The flower and heart were hand appliquéd using buttonhole stitch onto the background. I'm still considering putting a button centre to the flower. I did a line of stitching 1/4inch away from the heart itself and I quilted the backing fabric with a small meander. The rest of the bag was quilted in the ditch.





I'm pleased with the finished bag and it is very roomy. Finished size is 18 X 18 inches with  41/2 inch side and base panels. 

Having made the bag I'm now in a quandary. I can either use it as my bag for carrying what I need each week for my guide meetings or I could use it as a present bag for a project I am currently working on. It would be big enough and means the recipient actually gets two presents in one. I just can't make up my mind. Either way I need to make a second bag. Quilting is self generating, you finish one project and it immediately generates another. 

I called my post bags of room. Over the last few weeks I've been organising my scrap fabric. I've cut some into 5 inch and 2 1/2 inch squares. Some has become rectangles and the bigger pieces have been ironed and folded properly. It seems I now have lots of room for more fabric so maybe I'll need a shopping trip before work starts again next month.

I'm going to try and finish up my swoon quilt top over the next couple of days and I must finish my project for the hexie blog hop. I hope you have a good day today.

I'm linking this post with Connie's linky party at Freemotion by the river Why not go and see what everyone has been doing.

Lyndsey


4 comments:

  1. Great bag, so pretty and cheerful. I'm sure it will be fun to carry it to your activities. I also enjoyed the garden setting with the bag in the chair. It is a great prop for your photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bag, I'm sure it will be very useful.

    Rainbows, Brownies and Guides? All at the same time or three separate meetings? Are you crazy or just devoted? LOL
    I was a Guide from twelve to sixteen, a (Land) Ranger from sixteen till the unit disbanded when I was nineteen and a Brown Owl from seventeen (well, nearly eighteen) till twenty two. I couldn't cope with full time teaching of seven year olds and then spending my spare time being with children some more! (For the same reason i have never volunteered to teach Sunday school). I have also served as secretary and president of the Local Association (or whatever the parents' group was called when I did it). I think Guiding is a wonderful thing to be involved in and commend you and others like you who give of their time and energy so selflessly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful bag Lyndsey and I can understand wanting to make another one! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete