Saturday 27 July 2013

Baby quilt finish

Last week I started a baby quilt for a work colleagues baby daughter. Here's the top that I finished last week. Unfortunately my camera has had to go back to Nikon for repairs as nothing will work so the photos aren't great.


This week I had to get the quilting done as after Wednesday I'm not going into work again until September.  I found some lovely backing fabric with pin-wheels on it. 


I was going to use the yellow with pink blocks for the binding but decided to stick with the yellow I had used for the sashing.

Yesterday evening we took Scamp for a walk and took along the quilt and a camera. We headed for Wimbledon Common and had a lovely walk since a slight breeze was blowing. All the grass has been scorched by the very hot weather we have been enjoying. The temperature has been up at 33 degrees which is very hot for England.




Unfortunately although it was evening the light has faded the colour out of the quilt but the scorched grass is showing up perfectly. I quilted it with an all over meander but on some of the printed blocks I stitched hearts or flowers. I couldn't get a good photo of the flower quilting. I used a variegated thread


For the last two year a pair of swans have nested on the lake and reared young. This year they had 6 cygnets. They wouldn't stay in a nice group to get all of them in the photo.






Scamp has also had a hair cut, gone are his long curls and he is now one very happy and much cooler dog. It's been too hot to take him out during the heat of the day but he loves a walk in the evening or early morning. The rest of the day he chases the shade and keeps cool.



I'm hoping we will have some rain this evening or else I shall have to water some of my plants. Last Monday we had a huge storm with sheet lightening which was beautiful to watch and it rained very heavily. When I drove out to pick up my son there were enormous puddles right across the roads. However that soon drained away and the plants and trees once again all need more water. In fact a lot of trees are so thirsty their leaves are already turning brown and falling. However it is really lovely to be having a lot of sunny weather.

I'm now going to work on some of my backlog. I have so many blocks to catch up with on the Votes for Women BOW and I must finish my project for the HO HO HO hop that starts on July 31st not to mention this months schnibble. I also won an e-book of Jacquelynne Steve's new book called Child's Play and an e-pattern Merry-Go-Round in Connie's give away which I haven't looked at yet. If you haven't visited Connie's blog Freemotion by the River you should check it out.

I'm linking this post with Richard's Link a Finish Friday Why not pop over and see what everyone has been up to.

Lyndsey

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I used to visit Wimbledon Common as a child and it never looked this dry. Your quilt is looking lovely though. Quilters have such patience!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt love the quilting with the hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your baby quilt and am unashamedly going to copy it. I won a stack of vintage sheet fat quarters recently and they arrived on Friday. They are beautifully soft and muted. The very best thing for them is a baby quilt or two.. I am not too good at FMQ but you have prompted me to trying harder as I feel it would be the best way to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely quilt. Such a simple design but so very effective. Great colour choices!

    ReplyDelete