Monday 17 December 2012

It's starting to feel a little like Christmas.

I'm running rather late this year in getting organised for Christmas. Normally I put the tree up on the 9th December (I like to celebrate my birthday first) but this year I just didn't have time until yesterday. I love the excitement I still get when the tree goes up.


I still need to hide the wire for the tree lights behind the tree and wrap the presents hidden in the bag.

I also put up the heart garland I made last year.



To make the garland I cut out two heart shapes from Christmas fabric for each heart. I then used embroidery thread to stitch the two shapes together using a simple running stitch about half an inch in from the edge. You need to leave an opening so you can lightly stuff the heart with toy stuffing and then sew up the opening. Using pinking shears or fancy blade rotary cutter trim the edges. Add a ribbon bow and a loop to hang the heart. I had some small baubles which I mixed in with the hearts. I used thick piping cord to hang them from.  

This year I bought a nativity set. I have wanted one for several years but I hadn't seen one that I liked. When we visited Bath Christmas market I feel in love with this scene and it was also made in Bethlehem. Unfortunately I need to move things around as this isn't the best position for it.


When I visited Midsomer Quilting last weekend I bought several pieces of fabric. Most were just to build up my stash but two are for specific projects. 


I bought this to make some cushions for our family room. I'm not sure why but we all love elephants and these are just perfect. Opps that sound like a NewFO for January. I also got this lovely FQ.


Those blueberries look like you could pick them up and eat them mmmm really yummy. This is for a Christmas present I am making and since the person it's for reads this blog I can't say any more. I'll post a picture after Christmas.

I managed to grab a very small amount of sewing time on Sunday and have finished my Christmas mini tote bags - all six of them These are present bags for the leaders at Guides. I hope they like them.



This bag is quilted in the ditch as are two others. On the remaining three I practised my FMQ and sewed holly leaves. These mini tote bags make up very quickly and if you would like to know how to make them please click here to visit ps i quilt and see the tutorial.

Quilting Gallery's 5th birthday blog hop party was great fun and if you haven't already entered my give away is open until midnight on 20th December Greenwich Mean time. I will announce the winner on the 21st. Click here to go and enter.

Now I'm off to finish my list of new projects I would like to make next year as part of Barbara's NewFO 2013 Challenge over at Cat Patches. Why not visit to find out more about it.


1 comment:

  1. Your Christmas tree is gorgeous and that garland is to cute!

    ReplyDelete