Thursday 16 August 2012

WISP Wednesday - Dresden plate and sampler

I didn't think I was going to get much sewing done this week as we are on holiday but in the end it proved quite good for moving projects along.

I have been working on my Dresden plate quilt for some time. It took ages to cut out all the blades of the plate and then to sew the end and press so that the points was sharp. Sewing the plate centre on and the plates to the block is fun. It is all machine stitched but still a slow process with all the points. However I hadn't touched the project since the end of May. So this week I got it out and moved forward with it.






First I cut 1and a half inch strips from the cotton lawn to make the sashing. These needed to be stitched together lengthways and the seams ironed. They then had to be cut into one and a half inch pieces so these could then be sewn together with a random pattern mix to produce the sashing. 24 sections are needed for the sashing. 



I slowly produced 24 piles with a random selection of one and a half inch pieces which slowly became a sashing section. I didn't quite finish sewing them all but I did manage 15, so 9 to go.



The finished sashing sections need to be ironed. I also sewed one piece between two blocks to see the effect.

Still a lot of work to do on this project but it has moved forward this week. I have also been working on my millennium sampler in the evenings and this week I finished the column on the right hand side.

Sharon over at pintangle  runs a work in slow progress Wednesday where we share what we have achieved on our big projects that are moving slowly. The support from everyone helps keep the project moving forward. Why not pop over and join in if you have a project that is stalled or just taking a long time to complete.

I'm off to the Festival of Quilts at the NEC in Birmingham on Friday. I must remember my camera so I can take lots of photos and also remember not to over spend. 

2 comments:

  1. Love your Dresden plates! I never made the pointy ones, only the one with a curve. It's such a pretty block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I have made the block and I love it. The points took a time to get right but it is well worth it. I also like the block made with a curve. I may use that to make a cushion cover, then I will have made the block both ways.

      Delete