Tuesday 28 August 2012

Festival of quilts Part 4 photos

I'm not sure where the time has gone since my last post. I promised some more of the photos from the Festival of Quilts at the NEC in Birmingham, UK. As I have explained before I have misplaced my catalogue so can't give you the names of who made the quilts but I can give the number and title. If anyone can supply the names I will add them to the post. The quilts are lovely to look at.

Quilt number 138 was titled 'Lichen' and made by Janine Visser from Amsterdam, the Netherlands. In her email to me she said she wasn't sure whether to be flattered or annoyed that there were photos of her work on blogs. I think that you will all agree she should definitely be flattered. The piece is beautifully designed and made and deserves all the interest and praise that it has received.

I loved the detail in this quilt.


Quilt number 156 by Janet Appelby is called 'Vikings Beware'. 


Detail of the machine stitched thistle head.


I'm not very keen on snakes so quilt number 169 'Snake Goddess' had me squirming. You really got the effect of the snakes twisting and turning.


Quilt number158 'Fit for a King' had beautiful blackwork embroidery.


A close up of a couple of the blocks.



Quilt number 159 'Tree of Life'.


Quilt number 166 is called 'Hyde Park 1973'. I wonder if this is based on interesting memories of the music in the park in 1973?


Most of the photos to date have been of the art quilts. This one number 358 'Midnight Magnolias' is a traditional quilt. I love the fabrics used in this one.



Another traditional quilt 'Firenze Memories' number 378




Quilt 376 is called 'A touch of Welsh'. I have included a photo to show some quilting detail.



And one final quilt number 377 'Birds in the Forest'.



with a close up of the centre detail. The birds were beautiful.


I still have some more photos to share and I will do that soon but now I need to get back to my sewing machine and my current project as I am longing to get it finished. It's a mini quilt swap and I will share this with you very soon. I'm currently working on two quilt swaps but the second one is staying under wraps until it's completed. The one I'm working on at the moment includes embroidery.





No comments:

Post a Comment